Monday, October 3, 2011

"Actress In A Supporting Role" 2006

2006
And the Academy selected:
  • Adriana Barazza in Babel
  • Cate Blanchett in Notes On A Scandal
  • Abigail Breslin in Little Miss Sunshine
  • Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls
  • Rinko Kikuchi in Babel

My Ranking:


5. Jennifer Hudson as Effie White in Dreamgirls


You could literally call this performance anything and not much can actually be argued, Jennifer Hudson is terrible in Dreamgirls. Her performance as Effie White is based on her voice and she is able to throw out as many high notes they can throw at her, but nothing can be said for the acting. She is amateur at best and looks awkward on-screen, trying to find the best spot where she won't be noticed during her acting scenes. Truly bad in every sense of the word.




4. Cate Blanchett as Sheba Hart in Notes On A Scandal 

Cate Blanchett's engaging, exciting performance as teacher Sheba Hart matches Judi Dench in every single way. Both find perfect, uninhabited ways of playing their characters - one good, one bad and Blanchett never takes a misstep in this enchanting performance. It could have been done in so many wrong ways, but I think the performance is truly terrific and perfect.




3. Adriana Barraza as Amelia in Babel


Adriana Barraza's performance as caregiver Amelia manages to find a beautiful mix between a warm woman, a strong woman, and a heartbroken woman. She warms the screen with the feeling of security, knowing she could protect you, but when she herself falls victim to wrongful racism, she shows how this woman becomes so insecure. It is truly a brilliant performance that should have been more in the film.




2. Rinko Kikuchi as Chieko in Babel


Speaking of which, Rinko Kikuchi's Chieko is the subject of the most fascinating storyline of Babel. Chieko is a deaf mute who is full of teen angst and unable to communicate her feelings with words, Kikuchi fulfills this technically dazzlingly role beautifully. The way she expresses the many complexities of the character look effortless. She left me completely enthralled, interested, and dazzled. An amazing performance.








1. Abigail Breslin as Olive Hoover in Little Miss Sunshine


In this unbelievably strong year, Abigail Breslin rides high at the top for her endearing, brilliantly realized and fulfilled performance as Olive Hoover. It's not an average performance one would expect from a kid in a grown up movie and Breslin keeps the line straight between being an actual kid and a kid that knows more then most of the adults. Her time she is on-screen, she blazes through, providing more then the script provides of her. Not only a favorite of mine, but I consider it one of the best ever logged in the category.




---
Honorable Omissions: None.

12 comments:

Fritz said...

I really like Jennifer Hudson but I LOVE Abigal and I am glad you love her, too! Such a great performance in such a great movie!

JJ said...

WOW! Thanks for reviewing this year -- completely agree with everything you said. Excited for 2002/2007's supporting actresses!!!!

DistinguishedFlyer said...

This was a great lineup, but 2006 in general was a superb year in almost every category.

dinasztie said...

Wow, a really great year, which makes Hudson's win look even more awful.

My pick is Cate or Adriana or Abigail. Probably Cate, after all. I don't really remember Rinko, I saw babel too long ago and only Adriana sticked in my mind.

joe burns said...

I think I'd go with Rinko, but I'd have to rewatch all of them.
But from what I remember, Adrianna is pretty good, Cate is fantastic, Abigal is good, but I don't think she's amazing, still, really good though. I haven't seen Jennifer in full in 5 years sooooo, no idea what I'll think of her.

Surprised she didn't get lower, given the hate you used to have for her. What changed?

Louis Morgan said...

Hudson is terrible, and it is a shame she won this year. I suppose I would go with Breslin who was very good.

JJJ said...

Wow you really loved this year aside from the winner; you hadn't previously given 5 stars to even 2 in a year. Though my opinion of the overall field is closer to the StinkyLulu smackdowners; they chose Breslin too but gave her a 3.6 star/5 average.

My favorite is Rinko, and I actually thought Breslin didn't do anything besides be cute.

DistinguishedFlyer said...

What would have been your choice for Best Picture?

Derek Bowman said...

I guess I don't have quite as high of an opinion on thisAnd I don't hate J-Hud's performance as much as everyone else seems to. year as everyone else does. I didn't really love any of them besides Barraza, who is my clear winner.

Sage Slowdive said...

Hmmm, Little Miss Sunshine would be my choice, but The Departed and Babel are two fantastic pictures for me.

Derek Bowman said...

Somehow my comment got mixed up but it's supposed to read:

"I guess I don't have quite as high of an opinion on this year as everyone else does. And I don't hate J-Hud's performance as much as everyone else seems to. I didn't really love any of them besides Barraza, who is my clear winner."

=)

Sage Slowdive said...

Your voice has been heard :]

And Amen on Barraza, any of the top 4 could be winners in other years.