Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"Actress In A Supporting Role" 1943

1943

And the Academy selected:
  • Gladys Cooper in The Song Of Bernadette
  • Paulette Goddard in So Proudly We Hail!
  • Katina Paxinou in For Whom The Bell Tolls
  • Anne Revere in The Song Of Bernadette
  • Lucile Watson in Watch On The Rhine

My Ranking:

5. Lucile Watson as Fanny Farrelly in Watch On The Rhine

Lucile Watson's rather shrill performance as Bette Davis' mother in Watch On The Rhine, is clearly a nomination that rode the wave of the film. For the majority of her performance, she sits around, bosses and makes bitchy comments to anyone who will listen to her - it's not my cup of tea and Watson doesn't make a totally large impression with her small part and shrill character.






4. Paulette Goddard as Lt. Joan O'Doul in So Proudly We Hail!

I would probably like this performance more if Paulette Goddard was a much more talented actress. The part of Lt. Joan offers an actress to be continually charming, even hints of sexiness, but Goddard is the wrong choice for such a character or maybe it's just because her performance feels entirely ineffective and misunderstood. Simply a performance that is ridden with problems.





3. Anne Revere as Louise Soubirous in The Song Of Bernadette

Another actress I couldn't care less about, but Anne Revere is helped out a great deal with having very good material. She's doing her usual shtick, but there is a little hint of something great going on behind her that usually held my attention with her. It's still not a perfect performance in any sense of the word, but Revere is still good enough to be noticeable in a film that tries to overshadow her.



2. Katina Paxinou as Pilar in For Whom The Bell Tolls

Sitting through this awful movie is nothing but a chore, but Katina Paxinou is able to create her own whirlwind by herself playing the man-like mountain fighter Pilar. I used to be sort of in love with this performance, but watching it again after all this time, she is sucked up in the mediocre environment of the film. I still think it's a totally interesting performance filled with surprising moments and great depth injected into a normally dry film. Just not a favorite performance of mine anymore.



1. Gladys Cooper as Sister Marie Therese Vauzous in The Song Of Bernadette

No one can play a mean authority figure like Gladys Cooper - here, a strict nun with jealous and bitter intentions constantly showing beneath her veil. She is always after Bernadette because she knows she has been chosen for the holy vision and not she, who feels it should have been her. It's kind of a small part, but Cooper makes such a big impression with her small screentime that it's hard to ignore her or not love the way she slips into this character with such fierceness.



---
Honorable Omissions: None.

5 comments:

dinasztie said...

I knew it! :D And I think I agree with your pick. I was quite underwhelmed by Katina last time.

Louis Morgan said...

I think I would actually probably go with Cooper as well who is rather chilling. Paxinou I like as well who I do think manages to give the only good performance in a bad film. Watson is standard in a standard role. Revere for me is her usual dull self.

Dazzling Aura said...

I had watched Bernadette. I like the film and i really like the supporting casts. All of them. But i don't think i could give Cooper that high remark, she's good but i'm not really that impressed. However, i really like her transition in the film when she pity Bernadette for the last time.

I have one question. Who is much better as strict nun? Meryl or Gladys?

Sage Slowdive said...

Hmm, Cooper. I'm one of those people who think Hoffman was the bad guy in Doubt, and Alyosis was doing the right thing, even if she had her hypocritical natures.

Cooper's nun was an all out bully who didn't have alot of justifications in her actions.

Fritz said...

Wow, I was sure you wild give Katina 5. I really love her performance but I also love the Bernadette-ladies so I dono't mind Cooper's win.