Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Actress In A Supporting Role" 2008

2008
And the Academy selected:
  • Amy Adams in Doubt
  • Penelope Cruz in Vicky Christina Barcelona
  • Viola Davis in Doubt
  • Taraji P. Henson in The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
  • Marisa Tomei in The Wrestler

My Ranking:

5. Taraji P. Henson as Queenie in The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Benjamin Button lasts way too long with it's Forrest Gump message, but Henson may be one of the biggest problems. She does everything the role asks of her, but she exaggerates everything terribly. There's also the blandness that follows her throughout the film combined with her overall badness, the performance is truly all over the place. Boring and bad is not a bad combination.





4. Penelope Cruz as Maria Elena in Vicky Christina Barcelona

Talk about obvious acting, everything about Penelope Cruz in this movie screams bad. It's not just because I can't stand her, it's because the tight, little pretentious role of Maria Elena is hardly an accomplishment of anything (maybe of cliches) and Cruz does nothing at all for me to elevate the character. She constantly screams in Spanish and English and evidently that's Oscar worthy, but she does nothing else to earn anything.




3. Marisa Tomei as Cassidy/Pam in The Wrestler

Marisa Tomei swoops into The Wrestler, ready to be a bad cliche, but working with Rourke and Arranofsky surely gave her alot of advantages and ended up turning in a terrific performance. Pam is the older woman trapped by her lifestyle and ready to leave and Tomei turns her vulnerability into a fabulous, stunning performance. Everytime she is on-screen, the movie becomes a little bit better because of her.



2. Viola Davis as Mrs. Miller in Doubt

It's the perfect example of an actress getting recognized for one scene that changes and betters her film. Viola Davis plays the worried, but strange minded mother Mrs. Miller who butts heads with Meryl over her son. She injects the right amount of down to earth sensibility that makes perfect sense for the character and of course her big scene is worth the nomination alone. An amazing performance in such a small role.





1. Amy Adams as Sister James in Doubt

Even though I thought long and hard between the two, Amy Adams still does so much with her character that it is hard to ignore. Sister James is the kind, on-looker of the story and herself is doubtful on where to turn between the situation. It could have been done in so many wrong ways, but she undeniably turns it into the best thing possible. Tricky in many ways, but she is able to turn this character into an exhilarating, evocative creation.




---
Honorable Omissions: Judith Light in "Save Me".

6 comments:

Fritz said...

I also liked Amy Adams (I don't understand why so many hate this performance).

DistinguishedFlyer said...

This is a surprise - I was sure Davis would still be a runaway winner here, and Cruz would be way at the bottom. This was a pretty good group of five, I think; if forced to pick one, I might choose Tomei.

Louis Morgan said...

I think I completely agree with everyone. Henson manages to both be dull and overact, and Cruz just has nothing special about her performance. Tomei is quite effective, Davis is great in her short amount of time, and Adams excels with as you said could have been done poorly in many ways.

Dazzling Aura said...

i actually like Cruz in VCB. I think she's good, though. i really like Davis and Adams too, yes both are brilliant actresses and brilliant in their respective roles. I also like Tomei and agreed with you Sage on her review. Henson has warm presence, in my opinion, in her role and i don't it's bad at all but i agreed her nomination was some kind of a rubbish let alone Button is too boring.

dinasztie said...

Well, I agree about Taraji. Penélope is my 4th, too but I really like her. My pick comes from your top 3 as I love them all equally. At the time I was secretly hoping for Amy's win. Now I think I would go with Viola but I'm influenced by The Help for which she will hopefully win next year.

Did you like her and Octavia Spencer in The Help?

Sage Slowdive said...

Never seen "The Help".