Monday, September 5, 2011

"Actress In A Supporting Role" 1999

1999

And the Academy selected:
  • Toni Collette in The Sixth Sense
  • Angelina Jolie in Girl, Interrupted
  • Catherine Keener in Being John Malkovich
  • Samantha Morton in Sweet and Lowdown
  • Chloe Sevingy in Boys Don't Cry

My Ranking:

5. Samantha Morton as Hattie in Sweet and Lowdown

It's not hard to be effected by a 'silent' performance, but Samantha Morton's performance as the mute Hattie in Sweet and Lowdown might be the exception. It's not a performance I hate or dislike by any means, but it's a performance that has nothing to it. She is an anchor and nothing more, and while I will salute her for not being at bad at it, it's hardly great acting.



4. Catherine Keener as Maxine in Being John Malkovich

Not being a fan of this cult movie makes it hard to judge this particular performance. Catherine Keener's signature quirky style is at work here as the alluring, mysterious, and sexy Maxine, one of the people who have strong faith in channeling John Malkovich's mind. Like her film, she plays up the weird and crazy style that is required for her, but still how much can you take away from the performance? Personally, I don't take away much, and think the nomination is a tad bit baffling.



3. Toni Collette as Lynn Sears in The Sixth Sense

Toni Collette's performance as the confused mother Lynn Sears is often praised for being an accomplishment of turning a stock character into a three dimensional character that has realistic feelings and needs. To be honest, I can't agree with that - yes that one scene is good, but the rest of her performance doesn't live up to that, and that one scene is not a one scene wonder that is able to knock me off my feet. She doesn't layer the performance enough to where she's able to stick out enough in the film. That being said, that 'one' scene is good, but I'm not enthralled by this performance.



2. Chloe Sevingy as Lana Tisdel in Boys Don't Cry

I've already reviewed several performances on this blog that could easily be overshadowed by the leading actress of the film who is giving a performance her all, Chloe Sevingy's performance as Lana Tisdel is one that is able to hold up. She is a bored teen who needs something new in her life and that comes with Brandon Teena, who brings that change. Sevingy in part, carries the film, showing a delicate change between her character's dignity and heart. She manages to match Hilary Swank every step of the way.


1. Angelina Jolie as Lisa Rowe in Girl, Interrupted

I could care less about Girl, Interrupted - too much lousy filmmaking and Winona Ryder for me to take notice, but if it serves a purpose for anything, it is Angelina Jolie. Her loud, volcanic, fascinating performance as the most popular member of a psych ward, Lisa Rowe is a great one. She commands the screen unlike few actresses could, and say what you want about Jolie, but when she gets the opportunity to give an amazing performance, she delivers it.


----
Honorable Omissions: None.

4 comments:

joe burns said...

I agree about Jolie! But I disagree about Keener, I think she plays the part wonderfully.

DistinguishedFlyer said...

This is a surprise, though not an unwelcome one. Too many people see the movie, I think, predisposed to dislike her - they go in assuming that, "Of course she didn't deserve to win."

dinasztie said...

I LOVE Catherine Keener, she might even be my pick. LOL I usually switch my vote between her and Chloe. Angie was fine I guess but this is not why I love her. :D

Louis Morgan said...

I agree completely about Morton, not really bad, but also not really anything. I never have had problem with Jolie, and thought she was fine. I probably should rewatch Collette, and Keener since I really can't remember exactly how I felt about either of them.