Monday, August 8, 2011

"Actress In A Leading Role" 1958: My Ranking

---
5. Deborah Kerr in "Separate Tables"
- Overacting to a maximum and looking like a lost extra on-screen, Deborah Kerr is pretty terrible in Separate Tables.

4. Rosalind Russell in "Auntie Mame"
- She is a bit boring and always stagy in a celebrated role that shows not a bit of humor for me. A nice effort, nothing more.

3. Shirley MacLaine in "Some Came Running"
- She makes Deborah Kerr's overacting look like amateur, but MacLaine has the advantage of actually making some of her schtick work.

2. Elizabeth Taylor in "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof"
- Always up for the challenge, Elizabeth Taylor delivers a real tour-de-force, showing how much talent she actually had and how it was growing. She is a bundle of emotions on screen and is absolutely powerful.

1. Susan Hayward in "I Want To Live!"
- This is my kind of overacting; in many ways, I wouldn't even say she is overacting and disagree with all of her detractors. She delivers one magnificent performance that doesn't fail to amaze me.


---
Honorable Omissions: None.

3 comments:

dinasztie said...

Just as I thought. For me it's Liz but Susan is not a bad choice, either.

joe burns said...

Yay go Susan!

augie said...

Yay for Hayward!!!!!
This was the first Oscarcast I watched as a teenager. And I remember our whole family jumping for joy when SH was named the winner.
But I do disagree with you, Sage, about Kerr and Russell. Both were suburb performances in their genre. Especially Roz's. Remember this was long before we were inindated with TV zany ladies, except for Lucy, and Auntie Mame was considered a much more sophisticated comedy. I remember seeing it in a theater and the house was just rocking with laughter. I still have newspaper clippings about predictions of winners and she and Hayward were neck and neck.
Really do love your blog. I get a kick out of you young guys take on these performances. Keep up the great work.