Thursday, February 3, 2011

Nicole Kidman in "Rabbit Hole"

Nicole Kidman received her third Oscar nomination for playing Becca Corbett in Rabbit Hole.

Rabbit Hole successfully transitions from stage to screen, with ease and a self-aware feeling that makes it an intelligent and thought provoking film. Of course, most of the monologues go on too long and sometimes have that feeling of protruding and overwhelming doom, but for the most part, the cast can sell it. The story of a couple of have recently lost their child - they try to deal with it in various ways, pretending life is normal, going to therapy, but they are horribly (and understandably) broken, and becoming more and more tense with each other.

Nicole Kidman plays Becca - she had a very successful career and exciting life when her son was alive, she practically gave up her career to raise her son. Since his death, she has faded into a boring existence, sitting at home, trying to find things to occupy her time...thinking more and more about her son. The first thing Kidman establishes is that Becca is a cold, bitter woman - her pain has transpired over time and now she's extremely hard to get along with. It's predictable, but I hardly felt for Becca in most situations. She refuses help and when she tries to deal with her grief, it always seems rather unbelievable, like stalking the teenager who killed her son.

I am not fond of Nicole Kidman either - her stilted acting style always seems to annoy me. However, something right aligned in Rabbit Hole. Her big moments annoy me (not to mention Aaron Eckhart is much more impressive) but in her most quiet moments, where she lingers around, reflecting on a situation, Kidman is terrific. She knows exactly how to play the emotions, whether they be explosive or heartbreaking, Nicole Kidman does have the instincts for a great actress. When she knows how to shine, she does so, illuminating the screen with terrifying grief and power.

8 comments:

dinasztie said...

I quite agree. She was great overall, but I really need to watch her again.

Robert said...

Oh, I'm so glad you liked her! I think this is a fantastic performance so I'm so glad it didn't get snubbed, since the rest of the movie totally got ignored. I really liked Aaron Eckhart also.

Allen said...

I thought Kidman was wonderful! A beautiful performance with great money moments and just as great quiet moments. The big argument scene with Eckhart still haunts me.

hey deanie said...

I really love this performance. I've always admired Kidman more for her brave acting choices (ie. picking projects like Dogville, Birth, Margot, etc) rather than her actual performances, but she was really just brilliant here.

joe burns said...

I loved her, she was outstanding. I think the character might seem a bit unlikeable to some, but I think she was fantastic at showing her character's grief. I also found it believable about following her son's killer, but more on that later.

hey deanie said...

Oh, and the scene in the supermarket? My jaw dropped. So good.

Dazzling Aura said...

Terrific review. I actually thought Kidman portrayed her character so well because she's also a mother, a real one in reality. Maybe she imagines while doing the film that "what if my children or one of my child dies..." and it truly shows in her performance that she inhabit the character.

Sage, could you compare her performance to Sissy Spacek in "In the Bedroom"?

If not Kidman, who would you imagine portrayed this role?

Sage Slowdive said...

The supermarket scene was my favorite! Some of the best work she's done.

haha, well it's ridiculous to think "who could" have played this. But, yes I think you could compare the two - except Ruth's grief was much more introverted.