Saturday, February 5, 2011

Jennifer Lawrence in "Winter's Bone"

Jennifer Lawrence received her first Oscar nomination for playing Ree Dolly in Winter's Bone.

Winter's Bone is a fascinating, intensely original creation that continues to impress me. It's surprising how well the mystery of the story is kept and how tense the director handles everything. I love the atmosphere, being stuck out in the woods, where the main character can feel safe yet can be in so much danger. The story of a 17 year old girl in the Ozarks who must provide for her brother & sister, not to mention her catatonic mother when their father is arrested for drugs. She sets out a journey to find him, and runs into many troubles.

Jennifer Lawrence plays Ree - the victim of poverty and life's circumstances. What's immediately apparent in Lawrence's performance is Ree not a victim. She is strong willed, incredibly intelligent, and proud of her roots, even though it's left her living an extreme lifestyle. She's had to quit school in order to care for her family and she's always forced into her situation - she wants to be something else, but she doesn't make herself vulnerable or unpromising. Jennifer Lawrence, incredibly shows many different shades of her character. One minute she goes to a brittle, teenage angst fueled temper tantrum and the next shows her character must be the driving force for herself, and cannot rely on anyone else.

Honestly, there have many performances like this before (young one wise beyond her years) but I don't think I've ever seen one that has so much realism as Jennifer Lawrence possesses. When she talks to her mom in the woods, she is immaculate - you can't ask for a better performance. And of course, she always stays on this note during the film - confused, a bit naive, and finally understanding....or is she? Ultimately this is a brilliant performance, that continues to amaze me for it's disturbing raw reality.

7 comments:

dinasztie said...

She will definitely win.

hey deanie said...

One of the best performances I've seen in years. I think a lot of people's lack of enthusiasm, or downright rejection of, her performance says a lot about what's wrong with the way we look at performances – there's such an overemphasis on big "actressing", which Lawrence never does. People don't realize she created a character.

Deiner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sage Slowdive said...

Exactly Deanie - this is one of the most realistic performances I've ever seen. There's no line between Ree and Jennifer Lawrence.

joe burns said...

I disagree, I thought a lot of her acting was obvious, and her accent, or line delivery, annoyed me. But there are some great parts that really work and it might have been my dislike of the movie. So a rewatch would be needed.


John Hawkes was fantastic and stole the movie in my opinion.

Allen said...

I think I may be due for a rewatch. People are either really for Lawrence or not so much because they don't get it. Unfortunately, I fall in the latter category. She definitely did a fine job, but never was I transfixed by what she was doing or what was happening to her.

Sage Slowdive said...

It's understandable Allen - it's very divisive.