Sunday, February 6, 2011

"Actress In A Leading Role" 2010: My Ranking

---
5. Nicole Kidman in "Rabbit Hole"
- I dare say Nicole Kidman is only a versatile actress when she is playing unhappy women. But, when she does know how to act well, she really sells it and becomes stellar. Here she has only a few moments where "Nicole Kidman" takes over, but for the majority we see an unflinching look at grief.

4. Michelle Williams in "Blue Valentine"
- Raw, indescribably natural, Michelle Williams packs a huge punch in Blue Valentine. She starts out on a high note and keeps that same approach to every scene she puts herself through, including the flashbacks. By lingering around the screen, always showing her character's apparent insecurity, Williams crafts a magnificent performance.

3. Natalie Portman in "Black Swan"
- Alot of Natalie Portman's performance requires her physically and while there's nothing wrong with that, it's not exactly what I would consider amazing acting. However, there is no denying this performance is simply dazzlingly, giving the limited Portman the role tailor-made for her. Her stilted acting style works perfect with the stilted ballerina, creating a haunting and beautiful experience.

2. Annette Bening in "The Kids Are Alright"
- Annette Bening is another actress who doesn't necessarily always work with me, but she arguably hits a high note here. Her wonderful performance stays with you as much as her comic delivery - her best moments are her dramatic moments, when her character reflects and deals with her problems openly. She can be both humorous and heart-wrenching.

1. Jennifer Lawrence in "Winter's Bone"
- It's been awhile since a performance has been so realistic. Where is the line between Lawrence and Ree Dolly? Her beautiful face and sensible attitude matches perfectly with her characters naivety and angst. With every scene, she plays Ree as if she's been this girl forever - finding new angles and anxieties to fit her character arc. A brilliant performance based on how much realism she can evoke, and she surely evokes alot.




---
Honorable Omissions: Julianne Moore in "The Kids Are Alright".

9 comments:

Tom said...

I wonder if she can pull an upset at the Awards.

joe burns said...

I didn';t expect Williams to be lower then Portman, but I knew Jeniffer would win. I'm planning on doing this year soon.

Sage Slowdive said...

Doubtful - but I don't mind the eventual Portman win.

joe burns said...

Have you seen Another Year yet by the way? I wonder if Lesley Manville was really good. I want to see her soon!


Oh and I saw The Fighter and I thought it was just okay. It seemed to have really realistic moments in it (The scene with Leo and Bale in the car, the whole beginning) and the direction is great , but there were soooo many fake ones too and I felt something was really missing from Leo's performance, her character just didn't have that special spark you know? Plus, those daughters are just ridiculous.

But I loved Adams and she's my pick currently, though I haven't seen Weaver. I really liked Bale too, though I felt Rush and Hawkes are more deserving.


What's your Best Picture ranking this year by the way, and your director pick?

Louis Morgan said...

A very strong year apparently. Portman got higher than I expected she would.

dinasztie said...

I'm going to be silent. I disagree about Natalie who completely blew me away. I might love her that much because I am a bit like Nina and I found a bit of myself in the movie.

Sage Slowdive said...

- Louis: Yes, the more I thought about it, the more Portman's performance becomes entrancing.

- Joe: No, but I'd too like to see what all the fuss is about.

Dazzling Aura said...

It looks like a strong line-up of nominees.

Robert said...

yay! I had a feeling you'd like Jennifer Lawrence the best. :) It's such a strong lineup this year, which is great after last year's sort of...weak group. Anyway hooray for your picks! :)