Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Osc...Ah, Who Cares...

I've been keeping very quiet about this year's race, but since the nominations were announced this morning, I figured it would be the perfect time to open my mouth, Mo'Nique style.

 Were should I begin?

The first movie I saw this season was The Kids Are Alright - why exactly was Mark Ruffalo nominated? His performance was passable. Why not Julianne Moore? Her's was easily among the year's best acting.

Academy: Too much crack and speech therapy?
Then, I ventured into The Social Network. A terrific film, which will be worthy of it's eventual Best Picture win. BUT, it's a cold day in hell when the Golden Globes have better nominees then the Oscars. Andrew Garfield gives the best supporting actor performance in YEARS, and would easily get my vote, but apparently, showboating (Geoffrey Rush) and subtly terrible crack addiction (Christian Bale) are better then naive, beautiful emoting (Andrew Garfield).

Jeremy Renner was terrific in The Town, but since Garfield was left out, John Hawkes now has my support. He is simply terrifying in Winter's Bone by being both villainous and sympathetic. Unfortunately, I think Garfield was sacrificed for Hawkes nomination...

I guess I should have suffered more...
Which brings me to Best Actor: ummm, Ryan Gosling, anyone? Wait, the Globes nominated him...but, here we have beautiful emoting passed over for....bad acting, bad foreign acting, and wait, bad remake acting!

What is with this True Grit love? It's hardly better then the original, and Jeff Bridges really does the impossible: he makes John Wayne's performance actually look good...

Javier Bardem's performance is all over the place, it literally left me speechless at it's varied badness. He has moments where the camera just lingers and instead of showing some kind of shading, he plays the character's emotions...terribly, I might add.

Besides withering and screaming in pain for 2 hours, what exactly does James Franco do in 127 Hours?

The eventual winner, Colin Firth, is AWFUL. The most obvious display of Oscar baiting I've ever seen. I don't usually quote Bill Maher...but "English monarch with a speech problem who must overcome it to fight the Nazis? Give him an Oscar now!"

Even though he hardly impressed me, I suppose Jesse Eisenburg has my vote...

I hate the Academy...
Oh wait, we have ANOTHER incredibly surprising snub! Mila Kunis was far and away my favorite nominee all season. To see her nominated, well everywhere, had me happy all through these awards shows. But, of course, the Academy must have some kind of vendetta against me, because she was left out.

I've decided to review the supporting ladies here very soon, but to my avail, I'm left with this wet rag of a list of nominees. Not to spoil the surprise of you readers, but they were all [enter Mo'Nique screaming here].

Like all the other movies this year, what is with this Fighter love? I've only seen this story told about 50 times...Same with The King's Speech? What in the world is so special about it?

Unbelievably, I have no complaints about the Best Actress category. I guess the Julianne snub was inevitable, so I'll shut my mouth for now.

10 slots for Best Picture, and THAT'S what they chose?

I really need to relax...

To be perfectly frank, I couldn't give a damn about the Oscars this year. Luckily, I'm stuck in another time reviewing things like The Lion In Winter and actresses like Katharine Hepburn (no Hailee Steinfelds where I'm at). But, I'm still going to do it anyways: so expect Best Supporting Actress and Best Actress reviews from me - I'll hate it, but the job must be done.

The Academy have really shown their ugly side this year, falling for the most obvious bait, and ignoring the performances that aren't begging for awards.

So, relax for now...maybe Mila the Swan can steal her Oscar and Andrew Garfield can yell "ACTOR UP, ASSHOLE" at Christian Bale when he wins. Maybe Colin Firth and Jeff Bridges can fight each other for who can be the worse interrupter of talking, and Javier Bardem can stare at them like he's about to die. Maybe Hailee Steinfeld can bring all the young actresses who could have played her part better, or do they have room for every actress under the age of 13 at the Oscars? At least the Best Actress race is fantastic. And now I will calmly shut my mouth, and try to imagine this never happened...

Watch out Academy...

21 comments:

Robert said...

I'm sad about Andrew Garfield's snub too. But John Hawkes getting in does make me really happy. Also, poor Mila! Though, Jacki Weaver made it...so... :) What did you think about her?

joe burns said...

Here are my overall thoughts:


I don't care for Ruffalo's nomination either, he does nothing, and the movie is not worthy of a nomination either...



I personally really liked The King's Speech, but to each his own!

The Garfield snub is weird, especially in favor of Ruffalo.

Bardem making it was something I did not see.

I had Best Actress right, but switched to Haille in the last moment. Bad decision. I'm guessing it's how young she is that led people to think she's supporting. HUGE category fraud, but I didn't like her very much.

I'm happy for Michelle Williams, but I still haven't seen her yet! I will soon..

Overall, I'd say 2010 is a bit stronger of a year then 2009 was, but it lacks all the suspense and excitement of last year's and the year's before that.

Sage Slowdive said...

Ruffalo's nomination was unstoppable, it was Hawkes who took the spot from Garfield.

2010 is just lackluster, just like 2009...

What did you like about The King's Speech, Joe?

dinasztie said...

It's interesting. I was surprised by the Garfield snub too, but when I re-watched the movie, I loved the movie much more, and liked him less. I think Jesse Eisenberg was better. Still, Garfield should have been nominated.

Personally, I loved The Fighter. It was me who was totally hesitant to see it, but you told me that Bale seems to be great in it. I think he was indeed great. The supporting ladies are, well, good, but not great. Leo will be deserving eventually I guess.

I also want The Social Network to win, though I'm a bit scared about that PGA win. Still, it's the front-runner and I remember that The Hurt Locker also overcame Avatar.

About Mila Kunis: I was also really rooting for her and I hoped that Hailee Steinfeld would get out of there and will be snubbed. (However, now I know that you at least liked Natalie). I'm really terrified that Natalie might lose. I'm so feeling that Bullock-Bening parallel. Except that Bening is indeed great and worthy of a win. The Best Actress category is, in my opinion, the strongest one in years. A nom for Julianne would have been great, though I'm a bit happy that she did not get it, since she cannot lose once more.

The King's Speech: it's obvious Oscar bait, and yet I'm VERY interested in it.

Javier Bardem: this was so predictable. Ever since Julia Roberts and Sean Penn started yelling graces and hails at him, I knew he was gonna be nominated.

Another interesting thing: last year when The Hurt Locker won over Avatar, Mo'Nique and Jeff Bridges won, I was so hoping that the Oscars will turn out to be something it should be. And then Bullock won. After that, I quickly realise that the Academy consists of people (OK, this sounds very corny). Choosing perfect winners and nominees is impossible.

hey deanie said...

I actually think this actress lineup is truly one of the strongest we've had in years. Really phenomenal, though I wish Manville or Moore had made it, or Steinfeld (who I thought was fantastic!) was placed there.

And Weaver in Supporting Actress – even with Barbara Hershey being snubbed – makes me so happy.

DistinguishedFlyer said...

I agree with you in that Gosling & Garfield deserved nods (and that The Fighter did not), but I don't agree at all on True Grit (the original of which I didn't like at all) & The King's Speech. I saw it before it began getting all these raves, so perhaps I would have been disappointed if I had had my expectations raised so high beforehand. I don't think it will win, but given its victory at the PGA, you might be further irked at ceremony's end.

joe burns said...

I thought it had a lot of depth and had a great script and strong acting from all involved. It had a few flaws , but I thought it was great overall.


But to each his own!

Deiner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sage Slowdive said...

Wow, I'm surprised to see how content everyone is with this year...

I guess I'll just be Scrooge this year :)

Sage Slowdive said...

And Black Swan is up for Best Picture, so Natalie Portman has this in the bag. And remember: Sandra Bullock was the frontrunner last year, and the moment her film was nominated for Best Picture, her win was unstoppable.

joe burns said...

The kids are all right got a Best Picture nomination too, as did Winter"s Bone, so Natalie isn"t a surething yet.


I have a feeling that Best Supporting actress will go another way somehow, I just feel it...

dtmmr said...

I'm not all that disappointed with the Oscars this year, except no love for Christopher Nolan, or The Town for that matter. However, it doesn't matter all that much really since The Social Network is practically going to win everything it's nominated for. Which kind of blows, but hey it really was an amazing piece of work. Can't wait for the show!

Allen said...

I'm quite surprised you're so unhappy with this year's batch of nominees. I'm super happy with Best Actress--definitely one of the best years for actressing in a long time, and such a contrast to last year's batch (bleh).

Ryan Gosling's snub is the only thing keeping me from being fully happy though. :( Sad face.

Louis Morgan said...

Seems emotions run high when nominations are first are announced, perhaps that's why there are less extreme, and less emotional disagreements when talking older years.

Brandon (Twister) said...

I'm totally with you on Mila's outrageous snub, Sage. She deserved a nom based off her line readings alone!

But really also mad at Wahlbergs omission.

Tom said...

I never heard of "Animal Kingdom". Have you seen it? Maybe it's good(?)

Sage Slowdive said...

Having won the majority of the critics awards, the Critics Choice Award, the Golden Globe, and obviously going to win the SAG, you still think she's going to lose, Joe? The only possible detour would be an Annette Bening career award.

Or better movies and actors/actresses, Louis ;)

I know Twister! I thought she would be in there for sure - still so upset she missed out...now I have to pick one of those other ones... :(

Ryan Gosling's snub is just as bad as Mila's...like I said in my post, I guess he didn't suffer enough?

I have seen Animal Kingdom, Tom :) It's divisive, I would say maybe give it a chance...I personally didn't like it, but I see it's appeal.

dinasztie said...

I'm also feeling that Supporting Actress can turn out very surprisingly. I think Jacki Weaver and Hailee Steinfeld might upset Leo, who might split votes with Amy. Weaver is a real threat I think, or wish, because having thought about it, she's DEFINITELY my pick, by far. She created a totally human devil, and a subtle one at that. She doesn't have the over-the-topness and loudness of Mary Jones, you really have to peel the layers to see that she's just as lonely and disappointed. Weaver is masterful and I hope she wins. If she cost Mila the nom, than I would take 2 noms away from Mila so that she's nominated.

DistinguishedFlyer said...

I don't think there's much doubt on any of the big categories - The Social Network will win Picture, Director & Adapted Screenplay (probably Editing too, and maybe Cinematography and a sound award); Firth, Portman, Bale & Leo will win in their categories.
Original Screenplay could go a few ways - there's a case to be made for The Kids Are All Right (so-called small movies tend to win this category), Inception (to compensate Christopher Nolan for past snubs), and The King's Speech (it's clearly building a bandwagon and if it doesn't bag the big one it could likely get this - this prize is also often won as compensation for not winning other categories).
I was a little surprised to read Roger Ebert mention the possibility of a True Grit upset - and indeed to see it get so many nods was a bit of a shock (though I liked the movie tremendously). Unless he's right and it is building up a bandwagon of its own, I can't see it winning even one category.

darinsinatra said...

In TOTAL disagreement with you about Colin Firth. He deserves it. BUT... the tragedy lies in the fact that he should have won last year for "A Single Man". This year, he'll just win it almost as a "sorry we didn't rightfully give it to you last year" prize. Sad.

Agreed on the snub of Ryan Gosling and the over-love for "True Grit" though. And the actresses? Fabulous choices. I think you and I, my blogging friend, are fortunate we picked the SMART category!

joe burns said...

I just was pointing out that her film was not the only Best Picture nominee..


I'd say Annete still has a chance, but she's lost so much momentum, it looks like Natalie's to lose right now...