Saturday, January 29, 2011

Helena Bonham Carter in "The King's Speech"

Helena Bonham Carter received her second Oscar nomination for playing Queen Elizabeth (or better said Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon) in The King's Speech.

The King's Speech is a piece of boring garbage. It's the kind of movie that comedians and the general public often associate with Oscars, it's what gives the awards the unpopular nature it receives. Ultimately, while watching it you can only think it was made to get someone an Academy Award for something. And don't even get me started on Colin Firth...never seen such "I want an Oscar right now!!" acting. The story of King George VI and his stammer that kept him from giving empowering public speeches. He finally starts to find his voice when his wife contacts an eccentric speech coach.

Helena Bonham Carter is given the rather thankless part of Elizabeth. She plays the same kind of character I've seen a thousand times: a dedicated and supportive wife who will help her husband any way she can. The character is never given a chance to shine or even let us get to know her, because the movie is not interested in her, so why should we care? Of course, an actress can always breath life into this stock character, but (not surprisingly) Carter is not able to do this.

When the camera is on her, all she can help to do is something with her face, like raising her ugly eyebrow or having a sad puppy dog look on her face - interesting, since she doesn't have much of a storyline to follow, but that doesn't make for good acting. Her character never jumps off the screen, and it doesn't help Helena Bonham Carter herself is boring and lifeless in the part of the Queen Mother.

14 comments:

dinasztie said...

I'm still so interested in this movie. I love the royal family so much. Especially the Queen Mother. I doubt that she can do better with me than Jacki or Melissa. I'm still a bit hesitant to pick Jacki over Melissa, though. Could you review Melissa next?

Sage Slowdive said...

The winner shall be last ;)

You'll have to REALLY love the Queen Mother to appreciate her here. It's like this blank space that's only used when needed.

Dazzling Aura said...

Well, I guess that's all she can give because that's all she was written.
I must say that I'm dying to watch this movie, it is not because it's an Oscar nominated film but because I'm a stutterer myself. So glad this film was created.

Louis Morgan said...

I actually did enjoy the film, but I will admit to being a sucker for historical films like this. Carter's performance though only really fits the part which is not all that much.

Sage Slowdive said...

haha, wow - well I'll stay alone with my opinion then :)

Tom said...

I might save my money and not go out to see this one.

Fritz said...

I haven't seen this movie yet but it looks like a movie I would totally love! :-)

Deiner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sage Slowdive said...

No: 2 1/2 for Colin Firth and 3 for Geoffrey Rush. So in a way, I guess Carter gives the best performance of the movie.

Deiner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sage Slowdive said...

Since he's going to win for that monstrosity, yes - kinda the same situation with Jamie Foxx.

Deiner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
joe burns said...

I wouldn't say she's terrible, but the role is nothing special..

Robert said...

Awww I liked The King's Speech but I can understand your problems with it. I definitely was disappointed with how little HBC had to do - I mean, it's not seeing her not do the whole crazy-character thing for once but she does do that so well. Haha!