Sunday, January 30, 2011

Amy Adams in "The Fighter"

Amy Adams received her third Oscar nomination for playing Charlene Fleming in The Fighter.

The Fighter is based on a true story, yet it is riddled with cliches. There is nothing new on display and nothing to be taken away from the film, other then someone can overcome the odds with the help of the people who had once brought him down. Whatever problems I might have with The Fighter, the Academy surely had no problems with - this is the kind of true to life story they eat up.

Amy Adams enters the story as Charlene Fleming - a seemingly hardcore, slutty bartender. We find out pretty fast that Charlene is actually a very intelligent woman who puts up a tough facade at her job. She works at the bar because she feels insecure about doing anything else. It's great how much Amy Adams fits into her first scene on screen - we see many sides to her character in this one scene. Adams establishes Charlene is practical, even when she doesn't have to be. She longs for romance, but she would never let anyone know she does.

It's even more great when her tough facade begins to wear off as she falls more in love with Mark Wahlberg's Mickey. She becomes the driving force behind him, often fighting with his family and her own intentions. Out of everyone in the cast, Amy Adams is the only one who escapes all the stereotypes that the other actors played on. However, my problem with her performance is how sentimental and almost dumb the character is played out. She lives only to satisfy Mickey, even though she's tough as nails - and it's unfortunate she is given the dumbest lines out of everyone in the movie.

6 comments:

Louis Morgan said...

I thought she was good, I thought the film was only okay. It lacked a triumphant theme song, which was probably needed, since when Mickey won at the end I thought that was just fine, rather than really saying "Yes!" which I think one is suppose to say at the end of a film like this.

Sage Slowdive said...

The dialogue needed dire help, had me rolling my eyes more then once, and Adams certainly tried to make hers works. Christian Bale walks away with everything, mostly because he had to play high the entire time.

Tom said...

I feel Amy's time will come.

joe burns said...

I think she'll be your pick...

dinasztie said...

I loved The Fighter. I love Melissa, who's my pick at the moment. I was on team Jacki for a while, but now I'm with Melissa. Amy is fine, though. My only complaint is that whenever she says "fuck" I feel that she feels that it's a triumph over her good-girl image.

BTW, I have just seen The King's Speech. I was quite disappointed. Its wins won't be deserved and Helena's nomination is a joke.

Sage Slowdive said...

Flip flopping, eh?