Sunday, June 13, 2010

Marsha Mason in "Only When I Laugh"

Marsha Mason received her fourth Oscar nomination for playing Georgia Heinz, in Only When I Laugh.

Only When I Laugh is an entertaining film, about Georgia Hines, a failing Broadway actress who has a major drinking problem. She has tumultuous relationships with her daughter and friends.

Neil Simon's writing is pure and palpable, and cast is his heartthrob Marsha Mason. She hit a high note with The Goodbye Girl, and amazingly, she was able to give another incredible performance in Only When I Laugh. In the very first scene, we learn Georgia is a mess with her emotions. She loves booze, but hates being an alcoholic. Once she is let go of her rehab, she tries her best to struggle with her very needy daughter who wants alot of her mother, as well as her needy friends, whilst trying to stay off of booze.

Marsha Mason, like in The Goodbye Girl, walks a fine line between drama and comedy, and again, she's perfect. Her Georgia is not a perfect woman, by any means, yet she struggles to be so much. Once she has a relapse, these scenes are humorous as well as sad, because we're watching someone give up on everything for a little booze.

For what it's worth, she gets the most of her witty dialogue, perhaps a little too much. Neil Simon is great, but it's not hard to realize why the original play was a flop, the writing becomes a little too much after awhile. But, Marsha is never over the top or too much. She creates such a tragic and wonderful portrait of a woman struggling with many problems. Marsha Mason was her (ex) husband's favorite, and she is the perfect Georgia. A wonderful performance.

17 comments:

Louis Morgan said...

Looks like Mason might be your first to earn two wins.

Sage Slowdive said...

Well, I wouldn't jump to conclusions ;)

joe burns said...

Great review! I can't wait to see her performance!

Fritz said...

I haven't seen much of Mason yet (only The Goodbye Girl) but I am surprised that she seems to be so loved among many bloggers because on all the Oscar boards I know, people usually hate her.

Sage Slowdive said...

She's definitely a divided actress.

Adam loves Actresses said...

Yeeaaah I'm glad you liked her.

joe burns said...

Would you have given the film a nomination for Best Picture?

Sage Slowdive said...

I don't know about that...it's sometimes badly directed and overtly serious. But, the acting really is first rate.

And for everyone who hasn't seen it, don't buy into the Worst Supporting Actor nomination James Coco got. He was great!

joe burns said...

Will you do 1973 soon? That year is really interesting to me.

Celso said...

Hey, Marsha is going to get her second Oscar! hahaha.
Great text Sage, I think I'm going to rewatch this one.
By the way, where did you get this picture of Marsha? Do you have any other pictures of her in this movie?

Sage Slowdive said...

I could yes :)

Hey Celso! I found it many years ago on the internet...I could upload more if you want me too.

Celso said...

I like to collect pictures of the nominees and the winners, and some of then are particulary hard to find!
If it is not asking much, could you please upload some of Marsha's?
Thank you!

Sage Slowdive said...

What's your e-mail, and I'll send them to you.

Celso said...

celsooliveira88@gmail.com
Thanks Sage!

joe burns said...

Did you get my last message on Youtube? I'm asking because I have a feeling that my messages aren't being sent.

Sage Slowdive said...

I didn't get any.

joe burns said...

I'll send it through email instead.