Saturday, June 19, 2010

Lee Grant in "Voyage Of The Damned"

Lee Grant received her fourth Oscar nomination for playing Lili Rosen in Voyage Of The Damned.

Voyage Of The Damned is a messy film about a ship that takes about 900 German Jews to Cuba for safe protection. The movie is full of performers and storyline, and unsurprisingly, it doesn't work. It's just too messy, and to be frank, a little boring. But, I really liked Faye Dunaway, and the person who really stood out...

Lee Grant plays Lili Rosen, a stubborn woman who joins the ship with her daughter (Lynne Frederick) and husband (Sam Wanamaker, terrible). He often talks down to her, which causes more friction in the relationship that wasn't already there, but once he becomes mentally unstable, this is where Grant really gets to shine. She is so afraid for her husband, yet she is trying so hard to not let her naive daughter gets her hopes let down about their new life, free from the Nazis. Very hard to get, but Lee Grant does.

But, her big scenes come after her husband jumps off the ship. In an effort to make everything right with him, she humiliates and degrades herself by cutting off her hair. Then, after Faye Dunaway tries to make her stop, she steps in and literally helps her out.

I hate it when people call this "Oscar bait", because isn't any scene where a character degrades or humiliates themselves called "Oscar bait". She's playing a guilty wife who is taking her grief and sadness to a mentally unstable level, just like her husband did.

My compliments are the film never really lets us know Lili Rossen's intentions beside some obvious grief. But, that doesn't mean for one minute I wasn't taken with her performance and the depressed humanity she brought to it. I just wish there was more too it...

13 comments:

joe burns said...

It seems you liked her more this time. Her performance does seem good.

Sage Slowdive said...

Faye and Lee definitely make it worthwhile.

Twister said...

As far as I know, this isn't a very "known" nomination (you know what I mean), but its interesting to see that you liked it.

Sage Slowdive said...

Well, Voyage Of The Damned isn't really a "known" movie either...it kinda shocked me it has been called Oscar bait.

joe burns said...

Is it a movie that's hard to find?

Fritz said...

I haven't seen this movie yet but I didn't hear anything good about it. I don't know if I would like Lee Grant in this because I am not her biggest fan.

Fritz said...

Oh, and I wanted to ask you: you always said that you have seen every Oscar nominated performance. Is that also true for the all the really old ones because I hear that some of them are basically impossible to see unless you go to some Archive or something similiar. I am asking because when you go back to Best Actress it would be very interesting if you could do one of the really early years once.

Sage Slowdive said...

There are 8 Best Actress nominees that I have left to see, and there all from the early era.

joe burns said...

What nominees have you left to see?

Louis Morgan said...

On the same note how many of the best actor performances have you not seen? I know Way of All Flesh is lost, but are any of others incredibly difficult to find?

Sage Slowdive said...

I will have to check Louis, but after looking through all my tapes and such, here's the nominees I haven't got:

1. Gloria Swanson - The Trespasser
2. Betty Compson - The Barker
3. Jeanne Eagles - The Letter
4. Ann Harding - Holiday
5. Elizabeth Bergner - Escape Me Never
6. Miriam Hopkins - Becky Sharp
7. Corrine Griffith - The Divine Lady
8. Ruth Chatterton - Sarah and Son

joe burns said...

Could you tell me what are the really, really hard to find Best Actress nominees? Because sometimes I just assume that a nominee is hard to find, but it actually isn't.

Sage Slowdive said...

Those ones I just named are the ones I think are hard to find, since I have no idea how to see them.