Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"Actress in a Supporting Role" 1976: Results!

---

5. Jane Alexander in All The President's Men

- Instead of being terrified, Jane Alexander makes Judy Hoback seem like she's about to pass out from boredom. Unsurprisingly, she does the same thing to the audience.


4. Lee Grant in Voyage Of The Damned

- Without doing much, Lee Grant is able to leave a big impression after her film is over. She tackles her character's emotions effortlessly.


3. Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver

- Even if I criticize it, Jodie Foster is still extremely good as Iris. Her approach to the character may be wrong for me, but every scene is evacuated perfectly and not to mention entertaining.


2. Piper Laurie in Carrie

- Piper Laurie is frightening as Carrie's bible thumping mom, and creates a huge impact on the viewer. A surprising frank look at a religious fanatic, that Laurie tackles wonderfully.


1. Beatrice Straight in Network

- In just six minutes, Beatrice Straight is able to do more then some people could do with an hour. Her disgruntled, wrong wife is a brilliant aspect of the film, with many emotions and many layers. A masterpiece of acting.


---
Honorable Omissions: Alexis Smith in "The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane" and Shelley Winters in "Next Stop, Greenwich Village"

20 comments:

joe burns said...

I thought Grant would be third, but I"m glad laurie was second! What"s next?

Sage Slowdive said...

I guess I'll move back to the lead actresses.

Have any requests?

DistinguishedFlyer said...

I'm curious what you think of 2004 - that was a pretty strong year.

joe burns said...

Either 2004 or 1988

Sage Slowdive said...

LOL, well, 2004 will be soon then...I think I will do a year from the 30s next, since I haven't yet covered any.

joe burns said...

Do 36 then!

Do you have any requests for years you want me to do?

Sage Slowdive said...

I will!

It would be good to see your thoughts on say a 40s or 30s year(s).

joe burns said...

Yes! That's an interesting year, although I've only seen Lombard.

I want do some 40's years, but a lot of them aren't possible. But 46 might be, if I can find To Each His Own, and ticarpenter 1 said he would reupload it. 47 and 45 are big maybe's since I can't find Young and Crawford and I can't find Jones and Garson. But I might be able to!

Sage Slowdive said...

All the 47 nominees are on DVD if that helps.

DistinguishedFlyer said...

If you're going to do an earlier year, then I might suggest 1942.

joe burns said...

I'll just have to find Young and Crawford. 1940 and 1942 are possible though.

Is Joan Of Arc on DVD? If I find that, I can do 48.

Sage Slowdive said...

Thanks for all the recommendations you two...I will keep them in mind.

Yes, Joan Of Arc is on DVD.

Twister said...

Good job!

I woulda ranked them:

Foster/Straight (there both SO great!)
Laurie
Grant
Alexander

Sage Slowdive said...

I thought you'd never seen Lee Grant?

Fritz said...

I have only seen Network and Taxi Driver yet but barely remember the latter. But Beatrice was surely outstanding!

Malcolm said...

I've been reading this. Well done!

Please do 2005 or 1994!

Twister said...

Those last two I just sorta based off of what I would probably have chosen -- I'm sure it can't be too far off.

Sage Slowdive said...

I wouldn't judge anything until I see it.

Louis Morgan said...

Great reviews. Straight was great, Foster was good, and Alexander was nothing. I have not watched the other two yet.

Sage Slowdive said...

You'll definitely have to see Carrie soon Louis!