Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"Actress In A Leading Role" 1936: My Ranking

---
5. Carole Lombard in My Man Godfrey
- Yes, I used to very much appreciate Lombard's nutty performance, but seasons change, and now I just find it irritating and boring. Her comic talents don't really work with me anymore either.

4. Norma Shearer in Romeo and Juliet

- If her extreme age difference wasn't enough, Norma Shearer adds little annoying, strange habits in her performance that simply are ridiculous. However, her performance redeems itself in more ways then one, and in especially her final scenes.
 
3. Luise Rainer in The Great Ziegfeld

- A performance that grows with repeat viewings, with Rainer being good during most of her performance. There are lots of obvious acting here at hand, but her last scene really makes up for it.


2. Gladys George in Valiant Is The Word For Carrie

- More obvious acting, but Gladys George still gives a good performance that relies on how much she can pull at the audience's sentiment. A nice performance in a muddled film.


1. Irene Dunne in Theodora Goes Wild

- Irene Dunne was quite the comedian, and her talents shine bright here. Her tight lipped, but secret wild girl is handled very well by her, not to mention highly entertaining.


---
Honorable Omissions: Katharine Hepburn in "Mary Of Scotland"

13 comments:

joe burns said...

Just as I expected once I read Lombard's profile. I'm still a little disappointed.

Sage Slowdive said...

Don't be disappointed! :)

It's not like this is a royal proclamation or anything.

joe burns said...

Yes, I know! But I just loved Lombard! Anyway, their are other nominees I like that I know you don't like, so this isn't that big of one. Would you call this a weak year?

Sage Slowdive said...

A very weak year.

joe burns said...

And 92!

joe burns said...

Now that I think about it, it must be the weakest year you've done so far, besides 45 and 07.

Sage Slowdive said...

Actually, this is the first year where two nominees got 2.

joe burns said...

I was just thinking those other years might still be weaker.

Malcolm said...

Could you do 2005 or 1994? I'm really excited to hear your thoughts about the nominees in those years.

Thanks!

Sage Slowdive said...

Soon Malcolm!

Louis Morgan said...

Surprising although, I did not find Lombard to be that great either.

Malcolm said...

Thanks so much, Sage!!!

And I'd just like to ask, did you like Up in the Air? I already forgot what you said about it.

Sage Slowdive said...

LOL, I didn't Malcolm :)