Friday, May 7, 2010

Susan Hayward in "With A Song In My Heart"

Susan Hayward received her third Oscar nomination for playing singer Jane Froman, in With A Song In My Heart.


With A Song In My Heart is an average biopic, that is pretty boring, if you ask me. I mean, I've never heard of Jane Froman or what she did that deserved to have a movie made about her, but I digress.


With every Susan Hayward performance, you are going to get very loud scenes and dramatic mannerisms, that she made her signature. Here, it's toned down, and amazingly, it's not as great as her other performances.


Jane Froman gets a job at a radio station, which is where she meets her future husband and manager Don Ross. Soon, her career as a singer takes off, but comes to a sudden stop when she is involved in a plane crash. The rest of the movie focuses on how she regains her strength as a singer.

As I said before with Susan Hayward, you are always going to get obvious scenes where we realize she is acting, instead of watching her form Jane's personality and spirit. In the beginning, she is a naive young girl, once she is disabled, this is when Susan's performance starts to take off, but really never does. She always plays it one way.

However, I did find good things with Susan's performances. Some of her scenes with her nurse (Thelma Ritter) are very good, perhaps the thanks should go to Ritter though. The lip-syncing didn't bother me that much, she doesn't over do it, and it looks very natural.

Susan Hayward has some fine moments as Jane Froman, but her performance always stays on the same level. She never tries to let us get into Froman's mind. A nice effort, but not a nice performance.

13 comments:

joe burns said...

Surprised that you didn't like it that much. I think she'll be fourth.

Sage Slowdive said...

I was a bit surprised too that I didn't think very highly of her on a review.

Louis Morgan said...

It is kind of interesting that early biopics are mostly overly positive. Is this one like that too?

Sage Slowdive said...

I guess...they make Jane Froman into a saint.

Which brings me to the question again, does anyone even remember Jane Froman?

Louis Morgan said...

I did not mean the films are actually interesting but their interesting because of the difference to modern biopics. Just compare Wilson to Nixon.

Sage Slowdive said...

Well, I meant it's enjoyable if you know who Jane Froman was.

I really liked Wilson :)

Louis Morgan said...

Me too. I liked it a lot more than I liked Nixon.

Sage Slowdive said...

Nixon was fine too, it's just I've seen the Nixon story told so many times plus that weird performance by Hopkins.

Louis Morgan said...

Your right on about Hopkins performance.

Tom said...

I could still hear his British accent. Did you, too?

Sage Slowdive said...

Yeah...I had the same reaction to Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon. Let me say I prefer Hopkins to his.

Louis Morgan said...

Both failed just to do the normal imitation, I mean was Nixon's voice that hard to imitate.

Sage Slowdive said...

Dan Hyeda did a great job in Dick.