Monday, May 10, 2010

"Actress In A Leading Role" 1952: My Ranking

---

5. Julie Harris in "The Member Of The Wedding"
- Julie Harris' stage roots show throughout the course of her performance, forcing her performance to be to brutally bombastic, without any shred of believability. It also doesn't help she fits nothing the character needs.



4. Susan Hayward in "With A Song In My Heart"
- Susan Hayward works overtime to put her character's insecurity, yet determination fully on the screen. She has some moving scenes, typically, but here is a stain that steps on her performance where her performance comes off as being insincere.

3. Joan Crawford in "Sudden Fear"
- Joan is absolutely terrific as a "scared" woman. She is both entertaining and enlightening as she bursts through the movie with an iron sword, devouring everyone else with her fine acting.

2. Shirley Booth in "Come Back, Little Sheba"
- Shirley Booth moves through Come Back, Little Sheba with desperation and a combination of ease and uneasiness. She is both haunting and ethereal, makes her portrait a lasting impression.

1. Bette Davis in "The Star"
- In a role that goes far beyond the page, Bette Davis is delicious in the juicy, spicy role of a fading actress who is trying to revive not only her career, her her life as well. Try imagining All About Eve, but with more eccentrics.



---
Honorable Omissions: Katharine Hepburn in "Pat and Mike"

14 comments:

joe burns said...

I knew it! Did you think this was a strong year? And what did you think of Terry Moore when you rewatched Come Back?

Sage Slowdive said...

Julie Harris brings the year down, terribly, but still 2 good performances, and 2 great performances.

My opinion still pretty much the same, however I would have gladly voted for Gloria Grahame had she been nominated for Sudden Fear.

joe burns said...

I didn't like Grahame's performance in The Bad And The Beautiful when I watched her on your channel. I like Jean Hagen the best, right now! Moore was alright, but I thought there was something missing.

So, 1996 is next?

Fritz said...

Booth was certainly a great choice for the win! So, what's next?

Sage Slowdive said...

I don't know, I can't warm up to saying Jean Hagen was the best.

I think I'll go ahead and do 1996 :)

joe burns said...

Would you have given Burt Lancaster a nomination?

Fritz said...

I love Jean Hagen's performance! I think that Singing in the Rain is very overrated but Jean Hagen is gold!

Sage Slowdive said...

Hmm, maybe, he is very good here.

Louis Morgan said...

I was wondering what you think of the Quiet Man, what you think of McLaglen's nomination, Also what you think of John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in it.

Sage Slowdive said...

I quite liked The Quiet Man. John Wayne has never pleased me, but he was good here, so was Sullivan.

I didn't think McLaglen was that great.

Louis Morgan said...

Well I am glad to hear that, its one of my favorites. Did you like Barry Fitzgerald?

Sage Slowdive said...

Not really.

Malcolm said...

Definitely the perfect choice is Booth!

I just saw only her in this bunch, but she's just so devastatingly affecting.

So, 1996 is next. I hope McDormand will get a better rating from you.

And, this could be off-topic, but what do you think of The Lovely Bones, the movie?

Sage Slowdive said...

I really didn't like it.

But, thanks Malcolm!