Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ingrid Bergman in "The Bells Of St. Mary's"

Ingrid Bergman received her third Oscar nomination for playing Sister Mary Benedict, a stubborn nun in The Bells Of St. Mary's.

Bells is one hard movie to sit through...sometimes it's a family movie, sometimes it's a confused, borderline love story, sometimes it's a religious, politically motivated movie! And that ending...talk about left field.

We have Bing Crosby, virtually doing nothing, and bless Sister Ingrid, because it's almost like she is acting all by herself.

Sister Mary wants to save the school where she is principal, and Father Chuck wants to send the children to a school where he thinks they will be better equipped. So, this causes some, pretty boring debates for the two actors to dive into.

Bergman is always being stern, Bing is always being very open minded. This goes on throughout the entire movie. While Sister Mary could be changed, she stays stern throughout the entire film.

Ingrid Bergman plays Sister Mary with charm, but the material is as thin as a feather. She even tries to witty in some of her moments, but again, she fails when it comes to bringing her character to life. I guess I can see the effort in the performance.

Bergman is trying to make her Sister Mary a fascinating character, while still trying to please the filmmakers in being a warm and loving nun, the result is a boring, uninspired performance. She has some moments where she could have completely stolen the film, but instead she blends in with the bland scenery of her film.

18 comments:

Louis Morgan said...

Something that is funny is that Henry Travers plays a villain in this. He just does not fit the part.

Sage Slowdive said...

I know! I thought everyone was pretty lost in this.

joe burns said...

I thought this would be higher, but I guess I was wrong.

Sage Slowdive said...

Yeah, from what I've seen around the internet, her performance is quite liked.

joe burns said...

I hope Jennifer Jones is next.

Sage Slowdive said...

I will :)

Fritz said...

Haven't seen this one yet but I really disliked "Going my Way" so I doubt that I will like this one

Twister said...

Supposedly, Joan Crawford said she voted for Bergman that year, but I have a hard time believeing that.

Helena said...

I thought the performance is something that you will like. But, do you like Ingrid the actress?

Sage Slowdive said...

It's basically the same film, Fritz, just add Sister Ingrid in to help the children.

Fritz said...

Well, considering that I hated the children in "Going my Way", I surely will not like The Bells...

Yes, I have a hard time, too, believing that Joan voted for Ingrid...but apparently, she was a big threat for the win that year.

Sage Slowdive said...

I don't know...I mean, she just won, and wouldn't Joan, being Joan, vote for herself? ;D

Fritz said...

I'm sure that Joan would have sacrificed her children to get that Oscar.

As far as I know, there was a lot of talk about Ingrid winning a secodn time in a row. She was in three big movies that year, won the NY-Award and was Hollywood's darling (before they decided to kick her out).

joe burns said...

Do you believe that most actors vote for themselves if they are nominated? If I was nominated, then I would feel very uncomfortable voting for myself since you're judging your own work and all.

Sage Slowdive said...

I guess I just can't see them picking her for this. The only time I've seen someone win for a borderline children film is Julie Andrews, and maybe Sandra Bullock (depends on how you define children films)

But, I just feel this was the year of Joan. Comeback and her movie was a huge hit.

Sage Slowdive said...

It's hard to say...sometimes the more divaish actresses like Joan Crawford, it would seem more obvious if they voted for themselves.

joe burns said...

Most seem to think that Barbara Streisand voted for herself for Funny Girl and I read that Susan Sarandon voted for herself to be nominated in the Supporting category for Atlantic City, but was placed in the lead category, ha ha.

Zephyr said...

I have not seen this one, but if it's anything like 'Going My Way' it would strike me as an odd choice for best actress winners. Far too wholesome and fluffy to be considered great films...