Sunday, April 18, 2010

Diane Keaton in "Annie Hall"

Diane Keaton received her first Oscar nomination, and won, for playing Annie Hall.

Annie Hall is a rather mediocre film, that I've never understood the praise for, but not Diane Keaton!

Annie Hall is a quirky, charming young woman, who is making a living by being a singer. She develops a relationship with a neurotic Alvy, and this how the story begins.
I've never been a big fan of this performance for the simple fact I always thought she was always too natural or never making Annie interesting enough for me to take her seriously. But, I respect it and highly commend Keaton for giving a totally charming performance.

At first, Annie is goofy and carefree, and then after the romance starts to fizzle, she becomes a more serious woman, and Diane stays completely charismatic during all of it.

Alvy and Annie are supposed to be a dysfunctional couple, and I really believed it.

Her singing scenes are well done, and Keaton has quite a nice singing voice. She's almost whispering the songs, and for me, it sounds like it's coming completely from the heart.

When Annie moves to Los Angeles, this is where I get uninterested. I understand she is becoming a more Californian girl, but I really think she lost touch with the effectiveness of the first part.

With seemingly small screen-time, Diane Keaton is able to make a Annie a charming character, and give a lovely performance. I think the second part effects her overall performance, but the first part is is lovely.


11 comments:

Louis Morgan said...

She got higher than I thought she would. I liked her well enough, but I agree with you about the second half.

joe burns said...

Yay! Four stars! Way higher then she got the first time! Five stars from me! And I LOVE Annie Hall!

joe burns said...

Whose profile is next?

Sage Slowdive said...

Don't know yet.

Malcolm said...

It's so great to see that you gave her 4!

I was predicting it was going to be 3 or even 2.5, being 3.5 as the highest. I love her in Annie Hall! 5 for me.

Fritz said...

I'm happy that you like her more than you used to!

Malcolm said...

This is definitely off-topic so I apologize in advance.

I’m Malcolm from The Final Oscar and I wonder if you want to join in a smackdown I’m going to officiate. It’s between the nominees for Best Picture last 2008. I hope you reply for confirmation whether you’ll join or you’ll decide not to.

You can e-mail me in mylastoscar@gmail.com or you can just visit my site mylastoscar.wordpress.com

I would truly appreciate if you join.

Thanks and have a good day.

By the way, I love your site! I visit it everyday.

Sage Slowdive said...

Sounds fun Malcolm, I'll join.

Celso said...

She got a raise! Hahah! How many stars she had at the first review?

Sage Slowdive said...

I think I gave her 2 1/2 a few months back.

Malcolm said...

Sage: Thanks so much! Just visit my post for the format of the smackdown. E-mail it to me if you're done. Again, thanks so much!

Have a nice day and Godbless!