Saturday, April 3, 2010

Laura Linney in "The Savages"

Laura Linney received her third Oscar nomination for playing Wendy Savage, a struggling playwright in The Savages.

The Savages follows a brother (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) and a sister (Laura Linney) and how they are coping with their dad, as he nears the end of his life.

Like her nomination for You Can Count On Me, Laura Linney is absolutely wonderful as Wendy, showing all of her insecurity and faults, as if she was a real person.

The thing that keeps The Savages afloat is the performances of Linney and Hoffman. I got the feeling the two were emotionally detached brother and sister, and came together with the impending death of their father.

Laura Linney shows Wendy is not a normal person, she can't make it as a playwright, she is cheating the government, and is having an affair with a married man. Laura Linney makes it all believable and shows the dark side of her character.

My problem with an aspect of the performance is how little Linney gets to do in the movie. Sure, she has alot of wonderful scenes including when her brother is aware of her fraud, but I couldn't really get over how little she has to do. Wendy feuds with her brother, cares for her father, and sleeps with her boyfriend, and she's wonderful during all of it, but I wish there was more.

Laura Linney creates a touching, humorous portrayal of a difficult person, and makes a very lasting impression.

8 comments:

joe burns said...

I loved this performance! Real, funny, just right! And I never felt that she didn't have enough to do, but to each his own! And I think I'm going to do 2002 instead of 2007 next.

dinasztie said...

Somehow I did not really like this performance as much as I expected. Her whole movie was a bit too weird for me. But still nomination-worthy.

Sage Slowdive said...

I agree...I somehow wasn't as impressed as I was when I first watched it.

joe burns said...

At first, I didn't like the film very much and thought that Linney was far and away the best thing about it, but on a second viewing, I loved it! I think Phillip Bosco should have been nominated. What did you think of him?

Sage Slowdive said...

I thought he was alright...but like Linney, didn't have much to do.

I thought Hoffman was great! Surprised he didn't get nominated for this, but got nominated for his almost thankless role in Charlie Wilson's War.

Louis Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
joe burns said...

Off-topic, but do you have a Youtube link to The Hours? I know it's online, but I can't find it.

Sage Slowdive said...

No.