Friday, April 23, 2010

"Actress In A Leading Role" 1977: My Ranking

---

5. Anne Bancroft in The Turning Point
- A great actress turning in quality work, but her film is working against her. Her character is merely there instead of spanning out during the movie. Nice work, but hard to praise.


4. Shirley MacLaine in The Turning Point
- She anchors The Turning Point and makes it the only reason why you shouldn't give up on the movie. She captures her character's fierce inability to cope with her past, while trying to deal with her future. 


3. Jane Fonda in Julia
- Jane Fonda has always been an actress who could turn anything into gold, here she takes Lillian and shows her inner struggle with writing and her deep love for her best friend. Great work from one of the best.

2. Diane Keaton in Annie Hall

- It's easy to see why Diane Keaton won the Oscar, she was in the Best Picture, but it's not just that, she is completely lovable and charming as Annie Hall. A very funny, and again, charming work from Keaton, which has become her signature.


1. Marsha Mason in The Goodbye Girl

- Working with her (ex) husband's brilliant work, Marsha Mason is at the top of her game in The Goodbye Girl. She makes you care for her, and want her to succeed in the world...and like Diane Keaton, she gives a very funny, charming performance as an average woman, with horrible luck in men. A wonderful, carefully constructed performance.


---
Honorable Omissions: Gena Rowlands in "Opening Night", Diane Keaton in "Looking For Mr. Goodbar", Mink Stole in "Desperate Living"

10 comments:

joe burns said...

Wow, I thought Fonda might win, but I think Marsha would probably win. I'm glad that Diane is your second choice! Would you have given her a nomination for Annie Hall or Looking M.r Goodbar?

Sage Slowdive said...

I forgot to add Goodbar to my honorable omissions...she would have been great nominated for either.

joe burns said...

Are all of the people who have been your choices are your personal ones?

Sage Slowdive said...

Not necessarily.

Fritz said...

Ah, I thought Fonda would be your pick but Mason is not a surprise. But I'm surprises that Keaton is now your number 2! Maybe she will be numer 1 one day... :-)

Sage Slowdive said...

Not as long as Goodbye Girl exists ;D

But, Keaton's win is fine with me, especially more now then it used too.

dinasztie said...

My pick is obviously Diane but I'm happy for Marsha too.

Twister said...

I love the way you write, Sage; complete, modest, and to the point.

What year is next?

As a suggestion, you should totally do 1967! A great year, but with a weak winner...

Sage Slowdive said...

I'm doing a year you'll love next :]

And thanks!

montanalives6 said...

I am so glad to see Marsha Mason love. I just loved her. She perfectly mixed drama, comedy, and sarcasm into all her performances and I just found her so appealing.

As wonderful as she was in The Goodbye Girl she was even better in Only When I Laugh.