Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sissy Spacek in "Carrie"

Sissy Spacek received her first Oscar nomination for playing teenager Carrie White in Carrie.

Carrie White is tortured. By her school and by her Jesus freak mother, Margaret. The film follows Carrie's torture, and her eventual discovery of her telekinetic powers.

Sissy Spacek's performance will depend on how well you like the movie, Carrie. Carrie goes from tortured schoolgirl to tortured girl with budding evil powers, and whether or not you can take this, and enjoy it, will determine if you will enjoy Spacek's portrayal.

While Carrie isn't your typical Oscar material, it's still a fantastic ride, and all of these thanks goes to Sissy Spacek. Sissy was in her late 20s, but this never matters, she makes it believable 100%, she is this shy teenager.

Sissy's best scenes are with her mother, including the famous "Eve was weak!" scene. There is always dark humor beneath these scenes and that makes them especially enjoyable.

While I certainly think Carrie is an enjoyable movie, and Spacek is perfect as Carrie, I still find it hard to think this was a hard acting challenge. Most of the time, Carrie is simply being tortured by everyone around her, until she finally opens up. And I personally like watching the "new" Carrie scenes then when she is just being teased or religiously tortured by her mother.


But, it's still a fantastic performance that Sissy Spacek completely controls 100%. It's hard to come by a horror performance that is iconic and wonderfully controlled by a pro like Sissy Spacek.

8 comments:

joe burns said...

Only four stars? Ah well. I think your ranking will be:

1. Ullman

2. Dunaway

3. Spacek

4. Barrault

5. Shire

joe burns said...

And after this, can you do a year from the 40's?

Sage Slowdive said...

It depends on some upcoming things for me...plus, I already got another year in mind.

joe burns said...

Oh, okay. Is it a year from the 80's?

Sage Slowdive said...

I'll reveal it after I finish this year...that's if I decide to do it, because of my upcoming schedule.

Twister said...

For the time being, Spacek is my pick. She was truly haunting in her role.

Malcolm said...

Is this film posted on Youtube? I want to watch it so much.

Sage Slowdive said...

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oliWgFtfqKM