Monday, April 12, 2010

Marie-Christine Barrault in "Cousin, Cousine"

Marie-Christine Barrault received her first, and only Oscar nomination, for playing Marthe, in Cousin, Cousine.

Cousin, Cousine tells the story of two distant cousins who meet each other at a wedding. The two start to have more then a friendly relationship and even become romantically involved after everyone thinks they are already.
I criticized Anouk Aimee in the past for relying too much on her face to bring out the emotions she was feeling with her character, well thankfully, Barrault takes another way. She not only brings out the harden emotions of this woman, but also, perfectly plays up the humor of the script brings to her. Sometimes Marthe is dark, sometimes hilariously funny, Barrault is able to show all of this, wonderfully.

The most notable problem with Barrault and her leading man, Victor Lanoux, they are often overshadowed by the actors who play their spouses, Guy Marchand and Marie-France Pisier (who would have been a worthy nominee). But, there is alot of chemistry with her and Lanoux, and Barrault adds the much needed romantic qualities her character needs.

I also love the spunkiness Barrault adds to Marthe, especially when she flaunts off her unusual relationship to her entire family. But, there is also a dark side to her character, which Barrault completely nails.

A pleasant and charming performance that Barrault does great, always lighting up the screen. My only compliant is her supporting players are a bit more interesting and sometimes she doesn't hold well up against them, but still, a lovely performance.

19 comments:

joe burns said...

Can't wait for Faye's profile! I haven't seen this, but it sounds good. I really want to see Face To Face, but I don't think I'll find it. Not to be nosy, but how did you see it?

Sage Slowdive said...

The best channel on TV, TCM :)

joe burns said...

I really like TCM too, but I haven't seen any of the hard to find Oscar movies on there, except for The Subject Was Roses. But I'll check to see if there's any coming up. What did you think of Liv Ullman in Autum Sonata?

Sage Slowdive said...

It's just a matter of keeping up with their schedule. The Happy Ending was one of the hardest films I had to come by, and it played recently on TCM in the past month. The best time to watch is during the 31 Days Of Oscar season.

Very good, probably even would have been a worthy nominee.

joe burns said...

I try to keep up with their schedule, but I either forget about the dates, or I find the films that were going to air soon. Films that I really want to find are: Face To Face, Chapter Two, The Sterile Cukoo, and probably more. Off-topic, but what are your Original Screenplay picks for the 70's?

Malcolm said...

Oh, it's getting so exciting!

Faye is next, and I can't wait!

Sage Slowdive said...

Tlcarpenter is back, and he might upload Chapter Two.

Five Easy Pieces
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Murmur Of The Heart
Cries and Whispers
Chinatown
Dog Day Afternoon
Network
Star Wars
The Deer Hunter
The China Syndrome

joe burns said...

How about for the 80's? And I sent him a message asking if he could re upload that and upload The Sterile Cukoo, but he hasn't responded yet. And please comment on Glenn's profile!

Sage Slowdive said...

Melvin and Howard
Arthur, or Chariots Of Fire
ET, Gandhi, or Tootsie (all wonderfully written)
Fanny and Alexander
Places In The Heart
Back To The Future
Hannah and Her Sisters
Moonstruck
Big (just on weak competition)
Do The Right Thing

joe burns said...

Places In The Heart?! Really? No offense or anything.

Sage Slowdive said...

Have you seen the other nominees? lol

I'll stick with Places.

joe burns said...

No, I don't think I have. I haven't seen nearly all of the movies, but 1984 seems to be a really weak year. How your picks for the 60's?

Sage Slowdive said...

Yeah, I'd say as a whole, the 80s were very weak for the Oscars.

Never On Sunday
Splendor In The Grass
Through A Glass Darkly
8 1/2
One Potato, Two Potato
Darling
Blowup
Bonnie and Clyde
Faces
Easy Rider

joe burns said...

How about for the 50's? It's just interesting to see your picks. And did you see my 2003 Best Actor ranking?

Sage Slowdive said...

Yes, I commented.

Sunset Boulevard
The Well
Pat and Mike
Titanic
On The Waterfront
Interrupted Melody
Julie
I Vitelloni
Teacher's Pet
Wild Strawberries

joe burns said...

Something weird is happening with my comments. It keeps showing the wrong number of comments, like it said it had zero comments, but there were really 2. Is that going on with you too? And not just on my blog, but the other blogs I go on as well.

Sage Slowdive said...

Yeah, It's been happening on mine too.

joe burns said...

Off-topic, but what did you think of A Star Is Born? I know that you really liked Garland's performance, but what about the film as a whole?

Sage Slowdive said...

It's kinda too long, but I thought it was very good.