Sunday, March 14, 2010

Shirley MacLaine in "Terms Of Endearment"

Shirley MacLaine received her sixth Oscar nomination (and last to date) for her role as Aurora Greenway, an eccentric mother.

What I never understood about this movie, is they never explain why Aurora is so over the top, they just let it flow. From the first scene, we see Aurora isn't very fond of her daughter. From there, we get the sense these two have a complicated relationship.

Shirley MacLaine gets the lighter story, while Debra Winger gets the heavy storyline, and they both balance each story perfectly. Like I said in my review of Debra Winger, their chemistry is amazing. We really get the sense these two don't get along, but still have a deep love for each other.

Even the plot with Jack Nicholson is entertaining. Aurora is such an uppity *bleep* and to see her finally let loose and live a little, it's very entertaining to watch.

MacLaine's best scenes come with Winger. When she becomes sick, it really becomes all about Aurora and how will she deal with her daughter's illness. Her huge "GIVE MY DAUGHTER THE SHOT" is a brilliantly acted scene, not to mention my favorite scene, when she finds out Emma has died, and how she deals, it's just so quietly intense.

There are some problems I have with this performance, that I was afraid would arise after re-watching the film years later. I think Shirley MacLaine completely nails the strong and stubborn, but loving at heart Aurora, but again, we are really never explained why she's so off the wall.

Of course, Shirley was going to win the Oscar. She was overdue, she was in the Best Picture, and she gives the most interesting performance in the movie, but that doesn't mean she didn't give a good performance. It's an unforgettable portrayal of an eccentric character that continues to grow on me.

17 comments:

Twister said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that Maclaine and Winger didn't get along when they both got nominated in the same category. They both really wanted to win, and their relationship split because of it.

joe burns said...

Great again! I hope Debra Winger is your pick.......

dinasztie said...

I liked this performance very much, but my pick is either Streep or Walters. But I love Terms of Endearment anyway.

Celso said...

A really strong year with amazing performances! Let me ask: would you tie all these actresses and give them all an Oscar?
I can't wait to see the review about Jane Alexander. I think she a very good actress, but so many people complain about her!

Sage Slowdive said...

@Twister: I've never heard anything about them feuding...I did read MacLaine was intimated by Winger, but she did give her a very big thanks during her Oscar speech.

Sage Slowdive said...

@Celso: LOL, well I wouldn't tie them all. I guess we'll see how Jane Alexander does...

Sage Slowdive said...

@Joe: She might be... :)

joe burns said...

I've read that they did fight on the set, and that they didn't get along at all. I never heard that they're feuding was the result of the Oscar though. But I did hear that Shirley said something like "You can take the Oscar I'm going to win and......." you can fill in the rest, lol.

joe burns said...

And I just finished my 2006 Best Supporting Actress ranking. Go check it out!

Sage Slowdive said...

Well, Shirley must be one hell of an actress since she kissed Winger on the way up and thanked her for letting her work with her.

joe burns said...

Ha ha, yeah. What year will you be doing next?

joe burns said...

And I watched Maureen Stapleton's performance on your Youtube account and I was underwhelmed. I mean, I guess she acted well, but that was all? I felt pretty much the same about her in Interiors.

Sage Slowdive said...

I have yet to decide :)

Yeah, her win was obviously a career award on an extreme level.

joe burns said...

You should 1956 or 1950 next! Or 1968.

joe burns said...

Do you have a link to The Sterile Cukoo?

Sage Slowdive said...

I already have a year lined up next :) I'll do 1956 after that one.

I don't, but I highly recommend it if you can find it.

joe burns said...

Oh good! I hope Ingrid gets a zero when you review her. I can't wait to see your thoughts on Carol Baker! What year is it?