Saturday, March 13, 2010

Meryl Streep in "Silkwood"

Meryl Streep received her third consecutive Oscar nomination for playing real life, Karen Silkwood.

Karen Silkwood was a normal woman who found herself caught up in corruption. Meryl Streep, at her prime, nails this role. Meryl Streep always seems very intelligent to me, and to see her somewhat dumb herself down for Silkwood. But, Karen is not a dumb woman, she is actually very smart, but in an understated way.

Meryl uses her many acting skills here. It's incredible to see such a performance from such an actress, because this was Meryl's fifth nomination and she continually creates a vivid character and gives a riveting performance.

There are many great moments from Streep. Including a shocking scene where she receives a radiation bath, and it is still shocking after several viewings. She's also incredible once she finds out she knows more then she should, and the look of fear of her face is unforgettable.

Her chemistry with Kurt Russell is a little bogged down, due to him, but Streep is able to hold these parts up. Her parts with Cher are just amazing, we really feel these two are soul mates and have a deep connection.

There really isn't anything bad I can say about this performance, which makes it all the more better.

It's an incredible feat, by an actress at her prime, that gets:

11 comments:

joe burns said...

Great! I'm just wondering do you consider most of Meryl's nominations to be good or bad?

Burning Reels said...

Nice piece...I hope Mike Nichols comes out with something worthwhile again - what was Charlie Wilson's War all about?!

I actually quite like Russell in this and feel he's quite an underated actor but yes agree, Meryl and Cher are fantastic, creating characters with real depth.

Sage Slowdive said...

Well, after A Cry In The Dark, her nominations went downhill. But, during this era, she was utterly fantastic.

joe burns said...

Off-topic, but it surprises me that Marcia Gay-Harden is now your choice for 2003 instead of Shohreh Aghdashloo? Why is that? And why did you delete most of your Best Actress rankings?

Sage Slowdive said...

I rewatched Mystic River the other day, and Harden left a real positive impact on me, so she's my pick now.

It's simple, I will be doing them all in depth in the future :)

lisawoloski said...

I wonder why Ricci didn't get the nom back in 2003. Sure Charlize had all the attention, but people still saw Ricci's performance.

I remeber reading some reviews about her performance, both positive and negative so the critics were split.

joe burns said...

I thought Ricci was good, but I think she came across as too whiny and screechy in her dramatic moments. A nomination wouldn't have been bad though.

Sage Slowdive said...

I think that's how they were wanting to handle the character, her being very clingy and needy, making Aileen going further and further into destruction.

marcelrochester said...

So...Sage, do you think Meryl's deserved NONE of her last 8 noms?

Sage Slowdive said...

The Adaptation nom was fine, and the Doubt nom., but other then those, no.

joe burns said...

I think she deserved a nomination for The Devil Wears Prada. I felt that she was brilliant in that! But Judi Dench is still my choice.