Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lynn Redgrave in "Georgy Girl"

Lynn Redgrave received her first Oscar nomination for playing Georgina, a vivacious, but homely young woman.

Georgy Girl is a dated movie, it's one of those "had to be there" type movies that centers on the early 60s culture of London, and it's pretty obvious Lynn Redgrave's performance must be "groovy" in order to comply with this.

Georgina, is, well a bunch of things. She has no talent, yet she has musical skills. She's not pretty, yet men find her irresistible, it's all very erratic. But, Georgina apparently thinks all of this. She knows she has her limits, but the world is becoming more and more fond of her, including her parent's boss played by James Mason. He is about 50 and has been watching her grow up, and has always been keen on her...but now, it's turning romantic. Lynn Redgrave handles these scenes very well, she let's Georgina grow, instead of making her burst out there with her oddity.

Her roommate is a cold, careless woman, whose only worries are boyfriends and abortions. Her new husband soon takes a liking in Georgina, and the two start a relationship. And here's where my problems with this performance arise. First of all, I find it hard to believe such a homely and pudgy woman would have all of these men chasing after her. And Redgrave doesn't do anything like making Georgina surprised or pleased at all of this new found attraction, she just lets it flow.

Another problem I had was with some dance scenes, that seem completely out of character with the character. There's also the scenes with her roommate Meredith, Charlotte Rampling completely dominates these scenes (and deserved an Oscar nomination) and Redgrave really never plays off of her well. I also think Redgrave has a hard time handling Georgina's emotions. Sometimes the scene calls for Redgrave to be sad, yet she never seems to be sad, and all of those faults lie with Redgrave.

But, her scenes with Mason are really good. She stays a bit quiet and lets the scene happen, instead of letting Georgina's quirks come out. I also think she quite good in the ending once she finally decides to marry him. Again, Redgrave brings out her friendliness and odd beauty here, and again, she is quite good. She also has some great scenes where she is taking care of her roommate's child, who she has grown to love.

However, it's an extremely weird performance to rate. She is quite charming in some scenes, and dreadfully annoying in other scenes. But, overall I was taken with her Georgy.


14 comments:

joe burns said...

I'm just wondering. How many stars would this performance get if you were ranking it like you usually do? Like two stars? Or would it be the same?

Twister said...

Good write up! I haven't seen the performance, but you seem to what your talking about!

Sage Slowdive said...

Um, I should, since I've seen it.

Sage Slowdive said...

Uh, the same. Why exactly would I rate something two different ways?

joe burns said...

And did you get my friend request on Youtube, Twister?

joe burns said...

I don't know, I thought that since you said some negative things about it, that it would be lower and I thought that you were using Fritz's ranking style.

Sage Slowdive said...

I am rewatching all the films, so I can review them in depth.

Twister said...

Well, Sage I was meaning that as a compliment, because even though someone might write a review about something, it may come out in a stupid way, but you seem to ave a good understanding.

Sage Slowdive said...

Ah, well thanks for the compliment.

Tom said...

Lynn would be my pick for the 1966 Best Actress Oscar.

Sage Slowdive said...

Hmmm, that's interesting...you didn't like Liz, Tom?

Tom said...

No. I hate that movie.

Sage Slowdive said...

But, you still don't see anything good in Liz's performance?

Tom said...

she's OK.